Home Ownership FAQs
Does Habitat give away houses?
- No, Habitat for Humanity is not a giveaway program.
- Habitat’s partner families buy the houses that Habitat builds and renovates
- Habitat makes no profit on the sale.
- In the United States, Habitat homeowners purchase their houses through affordable monthly mortgage payments.
- Habitat’s homeowners also invest hundreds of hours of their own labor, called sweat equity, working alongside volunteers and other Habitat homeowners.
Does Habitat only focus on building new houses?
Loudoun Habitat works in a number of different ways to create decent, affordable housing through the building of new homes and renovating existing buildings.